Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ubuntu Forums.

Arg. I know the Ubuntu Forum is probably the best Linux forum, but some of the moderators and staff are so closed minded. I've been trying to get an Acer Forum started for about a month now. I thought at first, as good as this forum is, I can get an Acer forum started or at least figure out why there isn't one already. All I have to say is wow. Some of the people that have replied to my thread are straight up smart-asses. I was trying to start a serious thread, since there are so many unsolved questions about Acer computers, and since most Acer questions go ignored. Dell and Apple users have their forum, so why can't we? I've been told that Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. Where? After I was told that, I actually searched the electronic stores here, and never found one with Ubuntu already on it. Just because, correct me if I'm wrong, they made a model or two with Ubuntu, doesn't mean they need a seperate forum for just that reason. Now to Apple computers. Why should they have a forum to themselves? With the newer Apples coming with Intel chipsets, and Ubuntu no longer supporting the PowerPC, there is no need for an Apple forum either. If you are an Acer owner, and have had any unsolved or unanswered threads on Ubuntu forums before, go here and tell them we need a forum. It looks like the only way toget a forum started is for us to unite and tell the staff and moderators we need a forum. I say this because I personally love helping out other Acer owners. But the problem is I know I miss a lot of questions. Searching doesn't help since 3/4 of the search results for Acer will bring up threads where people are bashing Acer or saying another brand is better, or that they once owned an Acer. What good does that do? Before someone thinks I just trying to bash the forums for not getting my way, I'm not. I've started a lot of threads there, but most of my knowledge has come from trial and error, and a lot of time with no computer because of problems noone would even bother to answer. A friend had an HP laptop, and that's the EXACT reason why he went to Apple. He had paid someone to do the basic install, and when he needed help, the forums did no good. I know HP isn't the topic right now, but it is a good example of the problem plaguing the forums right now, Most manufacturers have very nice support. Acer, unfortunately, does not.

1 comment:

  1. Why not start a forum yourself?

    I'll link to it if it becomes popular from my Netbook site: www.yournetbook.co.uk

    ReplyDelete