Monday, January 26, 2009

Do people have no intelligence?

Why do people not actually try to compare and explain differences between OS instead of complaining and dissing them? On PC Worlds page  , this guy thinks XP is the best thing for computers since sliced bread. XP is now dated. I think that if you are a Windows fan, and you plan on staying with Windows, go ahead and upgrade to Vista. XP has a death date now, so no more security updates soon. When it comes to Linux as a whole or Apple, this guy says "Mac or Linux. Why Bother?" Not very open minded. He goes on to say "As for Linux, I've been hearing it's een ready for the desktop for years now. Well, it's not ready. It's getting better, but there are too many distros, packages, ISO's, Gnomes, Awks, greps, flavors, kernels, KDE's, licenses, and modules."

Ok. Too many distros. There are so many because there is more than one idea on what an OS should be. Too many packages. Obviously. Without packages, Linux would be useless. Too many ISO's. Not really. For each distro, you have a 32 and 64 bit ISO. Possibly more than one version, but most people want the newest, so that doesn't matter. Too many Gnomes. Well, if you download the newest version of a Linux OS, you will typically get the newest version of Gnome. He obviously hasn't looled into Linux as much as he says. Awks, I'm not sure about right now. Too many greps. So there's too many commands that most people won't ever use? Do you see a trend yet? Too many flavors? I see the trend ofignorance begining. Too many kernels? Are you serious? If you do updates regularly, you use the newest there is. Too may KDE's. Look back at what I wrote about Gnome. Too many licenses? Are you seriously kidding me? the only license I have seen in nearly two years of trying different OS is for Java. Is the trend of pure ignorance getting more clear yet? And lastly, too many modules. The same applie as to packages.

This seems to be the trend to people who do not like Linux. I don't like Windos, but do you see me writing aabout Windows having more security flaws than any other OS on the market? Or saying that the price for Windows is outrageous? Or even that Microsoft make their OS for the money and not for the ease of the user? No. Because I don'tbelieve in straight up bashing another OS just because of rumors, or plain ignorance about it. 

He also goes on to say "I recently installed Ubuntu Linux successfully, though I found the partitioning choices a bit confusing." Seriously? Please tell me what was confusing. Was it the THREE options in the partitioner? Or was it the colorful slider to decide how much space will be used by each OS? Or maybe it was the selection of using the whole hard disk? My fiance, who is not tech savy, said she could even install Ubuntu without a problem. If the partition editor was that confusing, I give congrats to your Mom for being able to get you dressed in the mornings for work.

"But to simply play MP3 files, I had to download and install a seperate package." Obviously. It doesn't come preinstalled with the codecs because of legal reasons. If having to do that was so scary, please point me to where I need to go to purchase Windows XP with any and all codecs I may ever need preinstalled on an install disc. There are too many types of machines on the market and in households for that to be feaseable. He also says "Wireless connectivity was a joke. Absolutely rediculous." Yes, on some machines, it is a little trouble. But is connecting your ethernet cable and using Google too much for you? My Acer Aspire 4720Z that came with Vista on it, took me a couple days to figure out at first. But the thing about it was... I had better signal with Ubuntu's Network Manager than I did with Vistas equal program. And the 4720Z was supposed to be designed for Vista too. Huh? That wasn't supposed to happen. 

"Like most people, I just want to do my work. I don't want to think about the operating system.  The operating system should be like a referee-- invisible and anonymous--and that's exactly what XP does. It provides all the features I need in an evironment that is completely familiar and easy to use." You don't want to think about the operating system? Do you really use Windows XP? Really? I guess you figured out how to eliminate all the pop up info boxes everytime you do an update or plug in something. XP is far from being "invisible and anonymous". What about the pop ups saying New device detected? Then saying Finding software for new device. And after that, sometimes saying after, Hardware installed, saying please restart to use new hardware properly. That's invisible and anonymous? If you really used XP, you wouldn't be spewing this garbage about an OS that will soon die out to Vista and Windows 7. When it come to XP being a familiar environment thats easy to use, you are actually right. But only for the fact your generation and mine have been using Windows since we were alowed to by our parents. That's all that makes it familiar. I personally feel that the Gnome desktop in Ubuntu was more familiar than Windows when comparing first uses.Even now that I have used both for years, I stll believe Ubuntu has a more familiar and organic feel to it. 

Lastly, this guy has the gumption to say "There will always be people who claim the losing technology is technically better than the winning technology, but lost out because of  inferior marketing, political clout, or some other reason. They view themselves as the enlightened few vainly railling against the ignorant masses. Meanwhile, the masses are getting their work done." You think Linux is the "losing technology"? Yes, we have inferior marketing. More like what marketing. Windows does better from the beginning because of being a corporation. You had near unlimited money and were the first on the market. That's why you are better for the moment. But don't think Linux is the losing technology just yet. Just like with the betamax(Microsoft Windows), and the VHS(Linux), newer technology nearly almost always wins. Except for Vista. 

So please don't bash an OS just because you are ignorant about it. That being said, there are probably Windows or Apple software I don't know of that have no Linux counterpart. I'm not trying to claim because one person is ignorant that Linux is the better all around OS. In some cases yes, and some cases no. But that's not to say, I don't believe that Linux will win in the long run. With Russia planning an open-source national OS, and the way the American economy the way it is, I seriously believe that Linux based desktops and laptops would and could out do Windows any day if there were more. Linux may possibly be the way of the computer future, but Windows could be too. Who's to say really?

No comments:

Post a Comment