Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nothing to do with Ubuntu....I guess....Aspire One

I just finished reassembling my Aspire One. I tore it apart to see where I could put my Motorola Bluetooth dongle. While it was apart, I was trying to figure out a way to keep it cool since the Bios upgrade and installing Ubuntu, it's been getting very hot. Well, I was looking around the mobo, and notice what actually cooled the CPU and GPU. All it was is a sheet of stamped aluminum with that thermal "tape" to connect everything. Well, I knew that "tape" could peel off without damage if done carefully. Took it off, and since I didn't have much thermal paste left, I coated both sides with the Silver Thermal Paste from Radio Shack. After that, I got it back together and left it running with the lid closed. Mine is set to do nothing when the lid shuts, so I assumed that would be the fastes way to build up some heat. It ran for about 20 minutes before I checked it. Since I never could get the sensors applet to read anything, this is a guesstament. Before the paste, that scenario would get my Aspire One hot enough you didn't want to touch the bottom for long, and the fan rarely ever stopped. Now, it stays cool to the touch, and the fan actually goes off now! Woo! Soon as I can get to Radio Shack, I think I'll re do it to use just thermal paste. Sorry for not having pics at the moment, but soonas I can upload them, you'll get to see the work. I'm also thinking about getting rid of the monitor out plug to increase air flow from the cooler to try and get temperatures down even further. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment