Friday, March 6, 2009

Ubuntu 6.10 on an Apple iMac G3

I got an Apple iMac G3 from a friend last night that couldn't get Ubuntu to install properly. Well, I tried last night, with no luck. If you booted from the disc (Ubuntu 6.10 alt. cd), the installer would go through the install, then ask to reboot. After rebooting, you would have the choice of booting from disc and Linux. It would choose linux automatically, and try booting, but never would get past loading the kernel.
Today, I decided to try again today. I connected it to my router, booted up the install disc and let it go. During the install, it went as smooth as it did last night. It never connected to anything during the install, which was odd, but it installed nicely. Well, it asked to reboot, and after the reboot, I thought it would do the same as last night. It booted up the kernel and Ubuntu started. So far the only problem with Ubuntu on the iMac is the resolution is off a litlle and the refresh rate seems slow. Hopefully, that'll be fixed soon.

2 comments:

  1. wow... wish I have an iMac so that I can also try this...

    http://www.wsmuniversity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I have to try this

    JL

    ReplyDelete